one-on-one interview | jenny gg photography



What would you like to tell us about yourself?
I’m essentially a mama that is also a total camera geek.


What is your profession?
Full time mama and full time photog
.

Where do you find inspiration?
Inspiration comes in the moment from the person I’m looking at through my lens. I like to spend a little time with them before I start shooting in the hopes of tapping into what connects us and to catch them in a more relaxed place. My muse is my daughter Lily – without a doubt.




What are you favorite professional resources?
I love my printing company, WHCC – they never let me down. I also adore Thumbprint Trading Cards!!



What are the most effective ways of marketing your business?
I love Facebook – it’s been a great networking tool and I’ve been reacquainted with old school friends too. Word of mouth has been the greatest marketing tool for me though.


How much of your time is spent preparing for a photo shoot, taking photos and processing photos?
Most of my sessions last about 2 hrs (I’m not a clock-watcher). For kids especially, I like to take the time necessary for diaper changes, snack breaks and the occasional “grumpy-break”. Weddings can range from four hours to a full day of coverage. I recently photographed a birth and was there for about 10 hours. It was such an amazing experience.


What tips can you give to novice photographers taking photos with a point-and-shoot camera?
Just shoot and shoot! Try also when outside to turn the flash off – your camera should be able to be set to do that and natural light is always so much prettier. Plus, you don’t get the "deer caught in the headlights" effect.


Is there anything else you’d like to share with us?
I want to say out loud how grateful I am that I’m doing what I love. Some times it’s tough, but it’s totally worth it.

I spent some time thinking about what I can learn from Jenny. Here's a list of my initial "take away-s" from this interview.

Jenny and I experience inspiration similarly - by connecting with the clients. I am revisiting the addition of a new product category for Thumbprint Trading Cards. Though I have been given lots of encouragement and feedback to go this route, I have resisted. I've been giving it so much thought and have distilled my hesitation to one point. Now I am asking myself, "How can I successfully incorporate my clients' individual personalities into this product category?"

Ah, Facebook! My prior work experience had me connecting with business partners across language barriers and international time lines. Though I am able to work beyond these barriers successfully, meeting these partners face-to-face solidifies the relationships. While Thumbprint is all about connecting with people face-to-face, there's a time and place for connecting on-line. I haven't ruled out Facebook for Thumbprint but it's not on the horizon yet. I prefer blogging for now. But, of course, only time will tell.

Thanks again, Jenny! We appreciate your time, answers and talent!

No comments: