the elevator pitch

You have only one chance to make a first impression.

Each time someone would ask me what I do this truth would pop into my mind, so I challenged myself to write an elevator pitch.

An elevator pitch is an overview of a business or idea. It conveys the critical points while avoiding too much detail. A good elevator pitch leads to further conversation with a potential investor, partner or client.

I shouldn't have been surprised to find this challenging. Luckily, there are lots of resources on the subject!*

In my research I found several common concepts:
  1. Less is more - under 250 words or two minutes
  2. Focus on the W's (who, what, why) instead of the H (how)
  3. Memorize and practice your delivery
I wrote an elevator pitch. Want to hear it? Here is goes.

"Hi. My name is Chris Guillot, the founder of Thumbprint Trading Cards. What parent hasn't struggled to remember another parent's name or scrambled to exchange contact information? Thumbprint Trading Cards are custom photo calling cards, like this one (hand over card), that make it easy to put a face with the name. I'd be happy to send you product samples and a media kit if you give me your business card."

*Resource links:
Elevator Pitch Essentials | here and here
Models | here, here and here

No comments: